Bite-Sized Insights: Recommendations from Health Professionals Matter When Buying Baby Products
Each week we ask our trusted Insights panel of parents a key question. This week we were interested in finding out what their thoughts are about baby products. It turns out that other parents’ recommendations are a top influence on purchase. Take a quick read of this week’s bite-sized insights to find out what else our trusted panel told us:
Would you like business-transforming insights for your brand? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help your decision making and activate customers. Contact us now to find how we can help.
Recommended reading: 5 Key Insights from Women about Brands and Quality
We asked our Insights panel of parents to answer these quick questions:
What is important to you when it comes to brands that you buy (or bought) for your baby?
- It’s been recommended by another parent 62%
- It’s a brand I already know 45%
- It’s been recommended by a health professional 41%
- I’ve been able to test or try it out 24%
- It’s within budget 24%
- It’s won an award 14%
- I like the colour/shape/style 7%
What baby/pregnancy items did you buy or receive as gifts that you would recommend to a friend?
Comments from our panel members included:
“I loved the breastfeeding pillow that I received as a gift.”
“37 degrees clothing I found to be excellent quality”
“These were 4 items I couldn’t have lived without: bouncer, baby monitor, play mat and pram.”
“I always recommend these things to other parents with bumps because they were so good: Sophie the Giraffe Teething Toy, amber bead necklace/anklets, Woodwards Gripe Water and the Fisher-Price Rainforest Music & Lights Deluxe Gym Baby Toy.”
“I was given a wooden ladybird design back massager by my friend and it was such a lovely and thoughtful gift.”
“I bought Bio Oil for myself when pregnant.”
“The best baby product I bought was the Tommee Tippee Electric Bottle Steriliser.”
“I found the Annabel Karmel book invaluable.”
“Backpack changing bag, the absorbent sheets are a must (puppy training pads also work wonders!), digital thermometer, angel care sensor mat monitor.”
“For me it was my Cosatto changing table, Phil and Ted’s double buggy, BT baby monitor, Avent sterilizer and Dr. Brown’s bottles.”
“A mini nappy bag was a great gift – so handy for quick trips.”
“Moses basket and plenty of muslin cloths”
“Mamas & Papas cotbed – it was perfect for transitioning from cot to bed! ”
“Bepanthen – found it great when my kids were babies.”
“A dummy that you put fruit into that they can chew, it was so handy. ”
“My top buys were baby gros, bibs, soothers, baby swing.”
“You definitely want a changing table for the first (for your back), a light buggy, soft baby grows, sleep bag, swaddling – muslins.”
“Any of the ClevaMama stuff, just found it excellent.”
“Muslin cloths, best thing ever!”
Reflections for Baby Brands
- Since recommendations from other parents top the list of factors that influence purchase how can you encourage your super fans to tell others?
- First time parents often don’t have a clue what they need or should buy. Create content to help them pick and buy.
- Validation from health professionals is important so look at how you can get that for your product.
- Have you considered bundling products to help new parents get started. Or bundling popular products with some new brands to help with sales of those.
- What helpful content could you create to help build traffic to your website for those who wish to shop online.
- Parents-to-be want to see, feel and ‘test drive’ products before committing to a purchase, particularly with expensive items. Ensure you have stock in store for demo purposes, and/or consider hosting parent events for potential customers to connect with your brand.
Would you like business-transforming insights from parents for your business? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help influence consumers to deliver long term profitability. Contact us now to find how we can help.