Each week we ask our trusted Insights panel of parents a key question. This week we were interested in finding out what factors are important to them when it comes to planning family days out this year.
As COVID-19 restrictions and safety precautions have had quite an effect on any future plans any of us are making at the moment, our survey reflected this current state of affairs. Take a quick read of this week’s bite-sized insights to find out what parents told us:
Would you like business-transforming insights for your brand? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help your decision making and activate customers. Contact us now to find how we can help.
Recommended reading: What Parents Told Us About Home Retail
We asked our Insights panel of parents what factors are most important to them in relation to family day out planning and discovered the following insights:
- COVID-19 safety is definitely top of mind, as 8 out 10 of the parents told us they would favour places with plenty of outdoor activities for their family days out and 63% agreed that it was important to them that an attraction has signed up to the COVID-19 Safety Charter
- Dining options were next on the list of importance, with 73% of parents favouring venues with different food options (picnic area, food truck, cafe etc.)
- There’s still concern about possible cancellation of events, 69% of parents said being easily able to move tickets to different dates was an important consideration for them when planning family days out
- On the subject of indoor activities, 42% of parents said it was important to them that they be well spaced and managed
- Right now, parents aren’t too fussed about whether activities out are educational or not, with only 25% of parents citing this as an important factor in planning
Any further thoughts on family days out this year?
Comments from our panel members included:
“It would be super handy to have a good range of food options that are not just chips and burgers from a van. And good coffee is essential for days out with kids.”
“We just want to get out and about!”
“Just keeping family safe is very important for us while awaiting the vaccine for all of us.”
“After having my kids not be able to do anything in over a year, any family day will have a number one priority of fun for the kids. They deserve it.”
“We probably won’t do anything that involves an indoor element and won’t be travelling too far. We may opt to visit more forest walks etc.”
“It’s important for us that prices are kept competitive… if they start charging astronomical prices to try make up for lost time, then I would not support them.”
“FUN. Just pure fun without the word COVID.”
“Hotels should reduce the prices of family staycations, as it’s a rip off at the moment.”
“Cost and value are a main consideration and then something that appeals to/is safe/engaging for the three ages we have (6yrs down to 2yrs).”
Actionable Insights for Family-Friendly Hospitality Industry
- The results of our study show that safety and fun are the two most important factors for parents planning days out at the moment. If they haven’t done so already, businesses would do well to emphasise wherever they can whether it’s on-site, online or via their social media channels, the measures they are taking to ensure customer safety.
- Parents are aware that businesses have suffered massively because of the pandemic but are wary of being ripped off to make up the deficit. If businesses are unable to offer deals or packages to bring back customers, they should consider changing their marketing language to soften the blow to parents of any unavoidable price hikes. Setting up loyalty schemes could also work well, reinforcing business gratitude for repeat business.
- Parents are still pretty cautious about indoor attractions. Where appropriate, businesses should make efforts to accommodate families outdoors. Something as simple as putting up a gazebo to provide shelter from the rain or offering blankets to outside diners can make a world of difference.
Would you like business-transforming insights from parents for your business? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help influence consumers to deliver long term profitability. Contact us now to find how we can help.