Each week we ask our trusted Insights panel of parents a key question. This week we were interested in finding out what their thoughts are about buying over the counter family medicines. It turns out that most prefer to buy in their local pharmacy but some parents do stock up when they are doing their weekly supermarket shop. Take a quick read of this week’s bite-sized insights to find out what else our trusted panel told us:
Would you like business-transforming insights for your brand? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help your decision making and activate customers. Contact us now to find how we can help.
Recommended reading: Pass The Tissues! How We Helped Raise Brand Awareness Through Trusted Content
We asked our Insights panel of parents to answer these quick questions:
Where do you usually buy over the counter medicine?
- Local pharmacy 78%
- Supermarket 17%
- Larger chain store pharmacy 5%
Any other thoughts on buying over the counter family medicine?
Comments from our panel members included:
“I would always chat with the pharmacy staff and get their opinion.”
“Sometimes I buy Panadol in the supermarket other times I buy it in Boots. Or I’ll buy other over the counter things in Boots.”
“It is very expensive in Ireland compared to Spain, Northern Ireland and England. Would try to buy common medicines when abroad.”
“I like to keep a stock of over the counter medicines to have readily available rather than just when someone gets sick.”
“I prefer to support our local pharmacy so generally pick up the few bits there.”
“I like that you can get advice from the pharmacist in a local pharmacy.”
“I purchase most my of medicines in a pharmacy but if I am in a supermarket I might purchase Lemsips or paracetamol while doing my large shop. This would just be to stock up at home.”
Reflections for Retailers and Brands
- Parents like the reassurance of having a pharmacist on hand to ask for advice. Be sure parents in your locality know that you are approachable for advice.
- Mums are price sensitive, keep this in mind when deciding what family medicines to stock as they may be willing to travel outside their locality for a better price.
- Parents like to shop locally and they buy regularly from their local pharmacy. Are your over the counter medicines well stocked in local pharmacies?
- If you run a local pharmacy, what else could you stock that would be useful to parents who come in to buy over the counter medicines?
- Supermarkets need to keep their family medicine area well stocked and visible as parents will often stock up on common family medicines when they are doing their weekly grocery shop.
Would you like business-transforming insights from parents for your business? Use our tailored panels of engaged parents and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help influence consumers to deliver long term profitability. Contact us now to find how we can help.