This month’s insights are all about the topic of online shopping. We asked women to tell us what they thought of shopping online vs in store, what drives their behaviour and what they would like from retailers. Read on to find out more about Insights into Women’s Online and Offline Shopping Habits and to download our free report.
This month’s Insights report gives feedback from women and insights into their views on Online vs Offline shopping.
To gather this, we carried out an online survey as well as an online focus group.
Key Online Shopping Survey Stats*
* Online Survey carried out on Mykidstime.com in January 2020 with 1,700 responses
- 46% buy online at least once a month
- 64% shop online on their smartphone
- 71% are more likely to buy something online if offered a promotion
- Top reason for shopping in store: You can examine the merchandise (74%)
- Top reason for shopping online: Saves time (60%)
“It’s handy to be able to shop at night when I have time”
“Being able to try on clothes is main reason I buy in store”
“Both have their advantages”
Online Focus Group Insights*
* Online Focus Group carried out on MyInsightsOnTime private platform in January 2020 with 30 panel participants.
Here are some of the key insights and feedback:
“I do a lot of clothes shopping for special occasions online. So maybe I shop online once or twice a month. I like the convenience of it.”
“I sometimes use an app called PriceSpy to check the price of items before buying. If I’m buying off Amazon or eBay, I check the sellers and I also check the product reviews there.”
“I am a member of a few bargain Facebook pages where online offers are posted up so will check that daily, I am also a member of a parenting forum and will ask advice on there. So, by the time I hit the shops I usually have a clear idea of what I am buying and at what price point I am happy to purchase at.”
“For food shopping, prefer in store to online as I actually like going around with a trolley, find it relaxing, though am sure I spend more on stuff that’s on special offer/multi buys.”
“Think there will be huge changes in the next few years as we go cashless. Maybe more use of phones, able to shop in store, see a dress you like, scan the tag with your phone and able to order it straight away for delivery the following day to your home!”
Key Recommendations for Retailers
- If you don’t have a physical location in a particular area, consider partnering with another business to offer in store returns bringing foot fall to the partner in return for facilitating your online shopping returns.
- Don’t underestimate the power of customer reviews online – be clever and ask customers to review your product or service after they have purchased from you.
- Make your in store experience the best you can – how can you leave the customer feeling delighted with the experience?
- Combine online with offline – offer access to in store kiosks with your full product range, just in case a size or style is out of stock.
Download This Month’s Free Insights Report
For more recommendations, survey results and in-depth insights, download our free Insights report on Women and Online Shopping.
In the report you’ll get in depth stats, insights and recommendations to help your business.
Would you like these types of insights for your business? Use our panels of engaged women and our dedicated private platform to gather critical insights to help influence women to deliver long term profitability. Contact us now to find how we can help.